Tidbits of Interest
Almont is the sixth oldest village in the State of Michigan, founded in 1833 by Daniel Black. The first town meeting was held in his tavern. Officers elected were: Supervisor and Justice of the Peace, Clerk, Treasurer, Assessors and Highway Commissioner.
The Village was laid out as the original town of Newburg in 1834
On January 5, 1846, the name of Almont was adopted in honor of a Mexican diplomat, Ambassador and General Juan V. Almonte.